Saturday 7 May 2011

Welcome!

Hello!
Welcome to my blog!

My name is Amber Shuttleworth and I grew up on a mixed operation outside of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. My family farms over 4000 acres while finding time to properly maintain a herd of about 120 purebred Charolais cattle. Growing up, Calgary was a great place to live but within the past ten years there have been many large construction projects which have altered farming practices in the area. One of the major projects which has affected our family's operation has been the CrossIron Mills mega-mall project. The ups and downs of farming this close to a large city and in a market that is so dependent on the American market are much more complex than many people imagine. I was an active member of the Balzac Beef 4-H Club for eight years and during my time in the club I was lucky enough to participate in many exciting projects. Apart from my cattle projects, (steer, heifer, and cow-calf pair), 4-H gave me valuable public speaking skills as well as opportunities to travel, counsel camps, and increase my knowledge of the cattle industry through 4-H cattle shows, judging competitions and grooming workshops. Currently, I am a student at the University of Lethbridge working towards a combined degree in mathematics and education. After living in the city (even a city as small as Lethbridge), I have come to really appreciate the rural lifestyle.

I hope that this blog provides you with a unique insight into farming practices in the Calgary region. Enjoy!

1 comment: