Sunday 19 June 2011

Mount Everest


Mount Everest.
Accessed on 19 June from http://www.worldsultimate.net/mount-everest.htm.

On June 30th, the Balzac 4-H Beef Club will be having its annual awards banquet. Trophies are awarded to celebrate successes from Achievement Day but for me the real highlight is the guest speaker. This year, our guest speaker is Laurie Skreslet. Mr. Skreslet has climbed Mount Everest several times and was actually the first Canadian to climb Everest!


I think this is so cool and Mr. Skreslet is a great guy who has been friends with my family for years. One year when I was about 12 he gave my dad a blue winter coat. Dad didn't want to wear it because in the winter he likes to wear one-piece Carharts so I wore it. Apparently it looked awful on me and despite the fact that it was really warm one day I came home from school to find that my mom had given it away to the Salvation Army.

Laurie Skreslet.
Accessed 19 June from
http://www.laurieskreslet.com/.

He has his own website which can be accessed at http://www.laurieskreslet.com/. His website also has some brief overviews of other presentations he has done and I also noticed a nice little link to one of his future climbing expeditions. Over Christmas he is taking a group of climbers to Aconcagua, a mountain located in Argentina near the Chile border. Aconcagua is the tallest mountain in the western hemisphere and is surrounded by desert while having snow-covered peaks. I cannot get over how cool this sounds!

Anyway, to get back to the main point here, if you received an invite to the Balzac Beef Awards Banquet and are debating attending I encourage you to come! Although I am not sure whether he will be talking about his climbs or he will be talking about motivational-related stuff but surprises are always nice and I assure you it will be worth your time.

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome choice for a guest speaker. How often would anyone get a chance to hear, and meet someone who climbed Mount Everest in such a small setting? It is a great opportunity for everyone there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more...posts...amber...!! such a tease ;-)

    ReplyDelete